[R] Conditional Random selection

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 20:15:59 CET 2015

David's "solution" is incorrect. It can also fail to give you times
with a total of 500 items to sample from in the time periods.

It is not entirely clear what you want. The solution below gives you a
random sample of time periods in which X1>0 and the total number of
samples among them is >= 500. It does not give you the fewest number
of periods that can do this. Is this what you want?

tab[with(tab,{
  rownums<- sample(seq_len(nrow(tab))[X1>0])
  sz <- cumsum(X2[rownums])
  rownums[c(TRUE,sz<500)]
}),]

Cheers,