[R] RGL Problem

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Mon Nov 23 13:45:49 CET 2015

> On 23 Nov 2015, at 11:50, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  The OSX binary version of rgl on CRAN is ancient.  You'll need to reinstall it from source for a current one.

Since you bring up this point: any chance of getting Mac binaries from CRAN again?  Rgl is a particularly nice tool because of its portability, and requiring users to install Xcode and Xquartz first makes life a lot harder for non-technical users.

This is compounded by the fact that the automatic configuration is easily broken. I have been unable to install rgl from source for some time on Mavericks, and have now discovered that this was due to a HomeBrew-installed imake in /usr/local.

Perhaps it would make sense always to use the well-known standard XQuartz paths on Mac and only consider other locations if explicitly asked for by the user?

Best,
Stefan