[R] Probing a protein sequence alignment in R

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 24 18:39:32 CET 2015

One way would be to use the biostrings and msa packages from bioconductor.

Use AAStringSet() to collect your sequences, and (e.g.) msaMuscle() to align them. Then use BStringset() to extract the subrange you need, and e.g. table to look at the distributions...

table(BStringSet(<output-of-msaMuscle>, start=50, width=1))

Working with Bioconductor S4 objects can be a bit salty, so mail again if you need more explicit sample code.

Cheers,
Boris