[R] Syntax error in using Anova (car package)

angelo.arcadi at virgilio.it angelo.arcadi at virgilio.it
Wed Nov 25 17:30:06 CET 2015

Dear list members,
I am getting an error while performing a repeated measures MANOVA using the Anova function
of the "car" package. I want to apply it on the results of an experiment involving 19 participants,
who were subjected to 36 stimuli, each stimulus was repeated twice for a total of 72 trials
per subject. Participants had to adjust two parameters of sounds, Centroid and Sound_Level_Peak,
for each stimulus. This is the head of my dataset (dependent variables: Centroid and
Sound_Level_Peak; independent variables: Mat (6 levels) and Sh (2 levels)).

> head(scrd)
    Subject         Mat   Sh      Centroid            Sound_Level_Peak
1     Subject1      C     DS        1960.2               -20.963
2     Subject1      C     SN        5317.2               -42.741
3     Subject1      G     DS       11256.0               -16.480
4     Subject1      G     SN        9560.3               -19.682
5     Subject1      M     DS        4414.1               -33.723
6     Subject1      M     SN        4946.1               -23.648

Based on my understanding of the online material I found, this is the procedure I used:

idata <- data.frame(scrd$Subject)
mod.ok <- lm(cbind(Centroid,Sound_Level_Peak) ~  Mat*Sh,data=scrd)
av.ok <- Anova(mod.ok, idata=idata, idesign=~scrd$Subject)

I get the following error

Error in check.imatrix(X.design) :
  Terms in the intra-subject model matrix are not orthogonal.

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong in my formulas?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Angelo

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]