[R] metafor - Meta-Analysis of rare events / beta-binomial regression

Markus Kösters Markus.Koesters at uni-ulm.de
Thu Nov 26 14:39:34 CET 2015

Dear all,

I am currently writing a protocol for a meta-analysis which will analyze
suicidal events. Recently, O. Kuss has (DOI 10.1002/sim.6383) published a
paper that suggest using beta-binomial regression methods to incorporate
double-zero studies. He states that “Methods that ignore information from
double-zero studies or use continuity corrections should no longer be used.”
It seems obvious to me that excluding studies with zero events will bias the
results and I am willing to follow his advice. However, I am not a a
biometrician, I have to admit that I am at a loss if and how it is possible
to fit such model within the metafor package. Can someone help me or should
I use the Yusuf–Peto odds ratio method as suggested in the Cochrane
handbook?

Many thanks in advance,

Markus

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]