[R] metafor - Meta-Analysis of rare events / beta-binomial regression

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Nov 27 16:01:09 CET 2015

I would say the issue of how to deal with 'double-zero' studies is far from settled. For example, under the (non-central) hypergeometric model, studies with no events have a flat likelihood, so they are automatically excluded. That may go against our intuition (for various reasons, some of them are aptly described on page 1098 in Kuss, 2015), but from a likelhood perspective, it is correct. And since the Mantel-Haenszel and Peto's method are also based on the hypergeometric model, they should also exclude double-zero studies. Now I am not so sure if we are ready to completely scrap these methods altogether simply because they exclude double-zero studies.

However, for 2x2 table data, I am all in favor of using methods that make more realistic distributional assumptions than the 'standard' approach that assumes that the sampling distribution of the log(odds ratio) is normal and has a known sampling variance. That's why metafor includes rma.glmm() for fitting appropriate unconditional mixed-effects logistic and the conditional mixed-effects logistic (i.e., hypergeometric) model to such data. And for fixed-effects models, there are also rma.mh() and rma.peto() for the Mantel-Haenszel and Peto's method.

I may also eventually include the beta-binomial model, but I need to give this some more thought. If you already want to start using this model, you will find implementions thereof in VGAM, aods3, and gamlss.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD