[R] PCA plot of variable names only

debra ragland ragland.debra at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 16:59:18 CET 2015

Thanks David!!! You have helped me tremendously! Thanks to all others for their input. I'll get out of your hair now :)

    On Monday, November 30, 2015 10:48 AM, David L Carlson <dcarlson at tamu.edu> wrote:

 If it is just a plot of the variables by their loadings on the first two components, this should do it:

> dat <- data.frame(matrix(rnorm(100), 10, 5))
> dat.pca <- prcomp(dat)
> plot(dat.pca$rotation[, 1:2])
> text(dat.pca$rotation[, 1:2], colnames(dat), pos=3)

Or if you don't want the symbols just the names, change the last two lines:

> plot(dat.pca$rotation[, 1:2], type="n")
> text(dat.pca$rotation[, 1:2], colnames(dat))

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352