[R] Installing pre-compiled R in Linux

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:18:12 CEST 2015

I couldn't tell from the OP's message what distribution they have
installed. If it is redhat (or a derivative), the extra packages for
enterprise linux (epel) has up-to-date R packages to install with yum. I
have had some minor issues with installing A FEW (mostly GIS related)
packages that were easily solved with google and careful reading of the
error messages.
HTH,

Stephen

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 6:32 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07 Oct 2015, at 13:05 , Jeroen Ooms <jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu> wrote:

> > On RHEL and CentOS the easiest and most reliable way to get R and R
> > packages is via EPEL. Simply add the EPEL repositories and from there
> > on you can install R and R packages as you would do on Fedora.
> >

> Pretty much no Linux distribution expects you to install anything by
> "unzipping compiled code". They generally have a packaging format like .rpm
> or .deb, and even then you can't mix them freely between different
> distributions -- SUSE .rpm are usually not interchangeable with RedHat and
> vice versa. You generally access them from curated package repositories
> using tools like yum or apt-get. One exception may be Slackware. At any
> rate, whereever you got your zipfile from, it is most likely wrong for RHEL.
>

> --
> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23
> Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com

Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
Biological Sciences
331 Funchess Hall
Auburn, Alabama
36849
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us
feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying little
problems of being mammals.

                                -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal
science."

                              -Robert Gentleman

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]