[R] [lattice::xyplot] Using (panel:.)abline with panel.superpose?

Duncan Mackay dulcalma at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 8 02:12:41 CEST 2015

Forgot to send to list

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Mackay [mailto:dulcalma at bigpond.com]
Sent: Thursday, 8 October 2015 08:44
To: 'Szumiloski, John'
Subject: RE: [R] [lattice::xyplot] Using (panel:.)abline with
panel.superpose?

Hi John

I only got grid lines on your # code 2 with same lattice version on win 7
and blank for the first code

Try

xyplot(Y~X|Trt, data=dat,
       groups=Sbj,
       type='b',
       lty=1,
       cex=2,
       lwd=3,
       scales=list(x=list(at=xgrid), y=list(at=ygrid)),
       col=c('red', 'blue'),
       pch=c(16,17),
       panel= panel.superpose,
       panel.groups = function(x,y, ...){

                        panel.abline(h=ygrid, v=xgrid, col = gray(0.9) )

                        panel.xyplot(x,y, ...)

                      }# panel
) # xyplot

It produces grid lines over the lines and points so one way around it is to
use alpha settings.
Not all devices will accept alpha.

xyplot(Y~X|Trt, data=dat,
       groups=Sbj,
       type='b',
       lty=1,
       cex=2,
       lwd=3,
       alpha = 1,
       scales=list(x=list(at=xgrid), y=list(at=ygrid)),
       col=c('red', 'blue'),
       pch=c(16,17),
       panel= panel.superpose,
       panel.groups = function(x,y,alpha, ...){

                        panel.abline(h=ygrid, v=xgrid, col=1, alpha = 0.1)

                        panel.xyplot(x,y, alpha = 1, ...)

                      }# panel
) # xyplot

If you use par.settings it will give correct colours lines etc to auto key

xyplot(Y~X|Trt, data=dat,
       groups=Sbj,
       type='b',
       par.settings = list(strip.background = list(col = "transparent"),
                           superpose.line = list(col = c('red', 'blue'),
                                                 alpha = 1,
                                                 lty=1,lwd=3),
                           superpose.symbol = list(col=c('red', 'blue'),
                                                   alpha = 1,
                                                   pch=c(16,17),
                                                   cex=2)),
       scales=list(x=list(at=xgrid), y=list(at=ygrid)),
     auto.key = T,
       panel= panel.superpose,
       panel.groups = function(x,y,alpha, ...){

                        panel.abline(h=ygrid, v = xgrid, col=1, alpha = 0.1)

                        panel.xyplot(x,y, alpha = 1, ...)

                      }# panel
) # xyplot

Regards