[R] How to install packages without internet

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 19:53:39 CEST 2015

On Oct 8, 2015, at 7:29 AM, Sarah Goslee wrote:

> Don't uncompress the package first.
>
> Either from within R:
>
> install.packages("/path/to/pgk.tar.gz", repos=NULL)

I think at least one OS will require that you also include type="source" and I would advise including dependencies=TRUE.

> or at command line
>
> R CMD INSTALL /path/to/pgk.tar.gz
>
> In either case, pay attention to any messages that R returns
>
> Sarah
>
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM, FERNANDO MANSITO CABALLERO
> <fernando.mansito at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Madam/Sir,
>>
>> I am trying to understand how to install packages without internet and I
>> have come to a dead end.
>>
>> I choose polynom (Venables & Ripley) which I first successfully installed
>> on a computer with internet. I found that the installed package comprises a
>> void "polynom" folder and a "polynom_1.3-8.tar" folder which only contains
>> a zipped container with the same name.
>>
>> I then donloaded the package successfully using download.packages(). I
>> unzipped the .tar.gz downloaded package then successfully installed the
>> unzipped polynom package using its path and repos=NULL in
>> install.packages() on a computer without internet..

Generally one does not need to unzip source versions of packages unless you want to look at the contents separately. With Windoze and Macs you need to specify type="source" [unless getOption("pkgType") is set to that value] and may need to have the appropriate system tools. You did not show your exact call to install.packages().

>> However, when I wrote "library(polynom)" on the computer without internet,
>> R3.2.2 answers with an error "polynom is not a valid installed package".

The problem description doesn't allow a definite answer. If problems persist, then you should post more complete descriptions of your methods, your OS and R versions.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA