[R] algorithmic method quantile regression

Cade, Brian cadeb at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 15 17:35:15 CEST 2015

>From ?rq.fit.pfn I see:

Details:

     Preprocessing algorithm to reduce the effective sample size for QR
     problems with (plausibly) iid samples.  The preprocessing relies
     on subsampling of the original data, so situations in which the
     observations are not plausibly iid, are likely to cause problems.
     The tolerance eps may be relaxed somewhat.

And from 1 in the Quantreg FAQ that Roger indicated there is:

>From ?rq.fit.fn:

   eps: tolerance parameter for convergence.  In cases of multiple
          optimal solutions there may be some discrepancy between
          solutions produced by method '"fn"' and method '"br"'.  This
          is due to the fact that '"fn"' tends to converge to a point
          near the centroid of the solution set, while '"br"' stops at
          a vertex of the set.

So it sounds like the pfn version of quantile regression estimates might
differ because it is intended for independent identically distributed data
(think homogeneous), it involves subsampling of the data set, and
convergence criteria are slightly different for fn and pfn than for the br
(standard Barrodale and Roberts simplex linear program) algorithm.  All
conditions that could lead to different estimates.  My recommendation for
the sample sizes you are considering is to stick with the Barrodale and
Roberts algorithm as it is the best understood, most reliable procedure.

Brian

Brian S. Cade, PhD

U. S. Geological Survey
Fort Collins Science Center