[R] SQL Server "float" is not handled by RODBC -- Is there a workaround?

Mark Dalphin mdalphin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:18:07 CEST 2015

Hi Jim,

No answers over the course of 24 hours so I'll give it a shot.

First, I always work under Linux, so my answers may well be worthless
for your Windows scenario.

Second, I don't know if my workaround works as I don't actually have a
SQL Server DB using float.

Now the workaround:

I have had many problems in the past using ODBC to connect to databases.
Nothing I could nail down to a fault in that system, but just no end of
problems. Some of that, of course, is due to me generally working under
Linux.

My general workaround that has been clean is to use JDBC instead. There
have been hassles at times to set up the RJava, but recent versions of
that have installed very easily. Once RJava is in place (and under
Windows, you'll have fun setting up Java cleanly), then installation of
a JDBC jar (I use jtds from SourceForge for SQL Server) and finally
RJDBC. The generic nature of the JDBC interface is a joy to work with,
interacting with most database types very well and in a uniform manner.

So, lots of work getting JDBC up and going to see if an alternative path
into your DB gets you your data in a better format. Now you see why I
waited 24 hours to say anything at all ...

Also, it might be worth while posting on the DB specific maillist:

Hope this helps,
Mark Dalphin