[R] Achieve independent fine user control of ggplot geom settings when using groups in multiple geom's

sbihorel Sebastien.Bihorel at cognigencorp.com
Fri Oct 30 00:31:53 CET 2015

Thank for your reply,

I may accept your point about the mapping consistency when the different
geom's use the same data source. However, as pointed out in my example
code, this does not have to be the case. Hence my question about the
geom-specific control of group-dependent graphical settings.

Sebastien

On 10/29/2015 4:49 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> I think a fundamental design principle of ggplot is that mapping of values to visual representation are consistent within a single plot, so reassigning color mapping for different elements would not be supported.
>
> That being said, it is possible to explicitly control specific attributes within a single geom outside of the mapping, though this usually does break mappings in the legend.
> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
>                                        Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> On October 29, 2015 11:27:55 AM MST, sbihorel <Sebastien.Bihorel at cognigencorp.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> I do not have anything specific data/geom/grouping in mind, rather a
>> framework in which users would just pile of each other layer after
>> layer
>> of geom each defined with specific settings. A minimum realistic
>> scenario would a geom_point followed by a geom_smooth or a geom_path
>> using different colors...
>>
>> Sebastien
>>
>> On 10/29/2015 1:34 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:
>>> I would say in a word, 'no'. What you seem to be implying is that you
>>> want multiple color scales, multiple shape scales, etc. As far as I
>>> know there is no support for that in ggplot2.
>>>
>>> Perhaps if you show us what you're actually trying to accomplish
>>> someone can suggest a solution or at least a work-around.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Ista

>> my
>> Although
>> frame
>> in this
>> used
>> meaningless
>> ugly and
>> about

>> in a

>> symbol
>> does
>> totally

>> (please, be
>> anything

>> 0.1),
>> = 0.25))
>> TRUE),

>> framework I
>> =
>> factor(g1),

>> some
>> variables

Sebastien Bihorel
Cognigen Corporation
(t) +1 716 633 3463 ext 323
Cognigen Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Simulations Plus, Inc.