[R] Unable to run RcmdrPlugin.survival using 3.2.2 with Windows 10

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 4 05:24:54 CEST 2015

Dear Joyaa,

You say below that you installed R packages when R was run as administrator and that you took all defaults. In that case,  the installed packages will be in C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.2\library . Just delete the library directory, which will still be there after R 3.2.2 is uninstalled. I do recommend, by the way, that, for using the Rcmdr, you install R with the SDI rather than the default MDI, but that doesn't explain your difficulties.

> I have used defaults throughout the process, except for running the whole things
> as Administrator rather than a User.  For the mirror, my first two install attempts
> were via a mirror in Germany.  My 3rd and 4th attempts via Cambridge, UK.
>
> Perhaps importantly: the first time I ran the RcmdrPlugin.survival plug-in it
> worked fine.

If you said that before, I missed it.

> I got half way through the exercise I was attempting, then closed
> the programs for the night.  The next day, when I tried to reload the plugin from
> R Commander, the plugin asked me to restart R Commander, but on opting for
> "Yes", this is when R Commander does not open properly.

Here's my hypothesis: When you "closed" R, you saved the R workspace. My guess is that this is the source of your problem. If so, the saved workspace is in the file .RData in your home directory; delete it and try again.

If this works, in future, exit from the Rcmdr and R via the Rcmdr menus (or if closing R directly, don't save the workspace).

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University