[R] getting a vector of unown size

Fri Sep 4 20:51:06 CEST 2015

If you had read the Posting Guide as every posting admonishes you in the footer, you would know that this question about C belongs on R-devel, not R-help. I think a lot of C questions are addressed in the Writing R Extensions document also, so be sure to convey how the documentation failed to communicate an answer to you when you do post again.

If this question were about how to handle returning vectors of unknown size in an R function, I would point out that one end of the spectrum is your over allocation strategy, and the other end is building an intermediate list of atomic data values (rows of data on a file?) and in between those would be a list of small blocks of memory that you allocate as each "current" chunk is filled up. Such a list can be measured after all data are in memory so a block of exactly the right size can be allocated and the data transferred and the list can then be discarded/freed. Which direction to go depends strongly on the variability/size of your particular data and how much time you have to optimize it.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing