[R] How to do global curve fitting in R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:37:15 CEST 2015

On 09/09/2015 12:28 PM, Jianling Fan wrote:
> Hi, Bert
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I am fitting a logistic does response model with 3 parameters as :
> y=a/(1+(x/x0)b), I have many sets of data. I can fit each of them for
> the model. but I want them shared the parameter x0 and b, but varied
> for each a.

You might have a typo:  x0 and b aren't separately identifiable in that
model, only the ratio matters.

> I don't think it is a  statistics problem. It is a typical global
> curve fitting problem with shared parameters. And I know how to do it
> by many other software. But since I am trying to use R, I am wondering
> is there any package or method to do it in R?

The nls() function should do what you want.  Your model is partially
linear ("a" enters linearly), so the "plinear" algorithm should work.
There's also an example of a "self-starting" logistic regression model
in ?selfStart.

Duncan Murdoch