[R] How to do global curve fitting in R

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Sep 9 19:15:11 CEST 2015

You can put all your data in one data.frame along with a column called, say,
'group' that says which group each row is in.  Then use the [] syntax in
nls's
formula argument to get group-specific estimates for some of the parameters.
E.g., in the following there is a global parameter 'b' and a group-specific
parameter
'p'.

> d <- transform(data.frame(x=seq(0,1,len=17),
group=rep(c("A","B","B","C"),len=17)), y =
round(1/(1.4+x^ifelse(group=="A", 2.3, ifelse(group=="B",3.1, 3.5))),2))
> str(d)
'data.frame':   17 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ x    : num  0 0.0625 0.125 0.1875 0.25 ...
 $ group: Factor w/ 3 levels "A","B","C": 1 2 2 3 1 2 2 3 1 2 ...
 $ y    : num  0.71 0.71 0.71 0.71 0.69 0.7 0.69 0.69 0.62 0.64 ...
> nls(y~1/(b+x^p[group]), data=d, start=list(b=1,
p=rep(3,length(levels(d$group)))))
Nonlinear regression model
  model: y ~ 1/(b + x^p[group])
   data: d
    b    p1    p2    p3
1.406 2.276 3.186 3.601
 residual sum-of-squares: 9.537e-05

Number of iterations to convergence: 5
Achieved convergence tolerance: 4.536e-06

(See the references listed in help(nls) to learn more about the statistical
issues.)

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com