[R] removing outlier

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 18:52:46 CEST 2015

On Sep 12, 2015, at 2:32 AM, Juli wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> thank you for your help. :)
>
> My point is, that there are outlier and I don´t really know how to deal with
> that.
>
> I need the dataframe for a regression and read often that only a few outlier
> can change your results very much. In addition, regression diacnostics
> didn´t indcate me the best results.
> Yes, and I know its not the core of statistics to work in a way you get
> results you would like to have ;).
>
> So what is your suggestion?
>
> And if I remove the outliers, my problem ist, that as you said, they differ
> in length. I need the data frame for a regression, so can I remove the whole
> column or is there a call to exclude the data?

Most regression methods have a 'subset' parameter which would allow you to distort the data to your desired specification. But why not think about examining a different statistical model or using robust methods? That way you can keep all your data. (Sounds like you don't really have a lot.)

--
David.