[R] For logical i and length(i) > length(x), x[i] <- value makes length(x) == length(i)

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sun Sep 13 04:22:44 CEST 2015

Splus 8.2.0 (c. 2010) and Splus6.0 (c. 2001) act like R in this respect.
  x <- c(10.0, 11.0, 12.0)
  i <- c(FALSE,TRUE,FALSE,FALSE,TRUE)
  x[i]
  #[1] 11 NA
  x[i] <- 1:2
  #[1] 10  1 12 NA  2
I no longer have access to a running version of Splus 3.4, but it does not
look like a feature we would have changed.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com