[R] Order of boxplots

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:50:14 CEST 2015

> On 15 Sep 2015, at 04:31 , li li <hannah.hlx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff,
>  Thanks for replying. I actually tried "ordered(tmp$type, levels=c("c",
> "b", "a")."
> But I think only the order of the letters on x axis changed but the order

You _think_ ??? Documentation, please...

The boxplots certainly move if I do

plot(result ~ type, tmp)
plot(result ~ factor(type, levels=c("c","b","a")), tmp)

> of the boxplot did not. So there is some problem there. I also tried
> as.factor(tmp$type); levels(tmp$type)=c("c", "b", "a") and got the same

That changes the level _names_: 1st group name becomes "c" instead of "a"; you want the 3rd group to become the 1st but still be called "c".

-pd

> thing.
>    Thanks.
>      Li

>> Make your factor variable deliberately. That is, specify the levels
>> parameter with the values in order when you create the factor.
>> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
>> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
>> Go...
>>                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
>> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
>> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>>
>> On September 14, 2015 6:23:50 PM PDT, li li <hannah.hlx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have the following data "tmp" and I want to plot  boxplots for
>>> each level of the factor "type" and the order the factor should be c,
>>> b ,a. In other words, the boxplot corresponding to the level "c"
>>> should be the first and so on.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>  Li

>>>  result type