[R] Beta distribution approximate to Normal distribution

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Tue Sep 15 19:40:38 CEST 2015

Hello,

If you want a truncated something rng, you can use the following
function. Note that 'distr' is the name of an R distribution function
without the dpqr prefix.

rtrunc <- function(n, distr, lower = -Inf, upper = Inf, ...){
	makefun <- function(prefix, FUN, ...){
		txt <- paste(prefix, FUN, "(x, ...)", sep = "")
		function(x, ...) eval(parse(text = txt))
	}
	if(length(n) > 1) n <- length(n)
	pfun <- makefun("p", distr, ...)
	qfun <- makefun("q", distr, ...)
	lo <- pfun(lower, ...)
	up <- pfun(upper, ...)
	u <- runif(n, lo, up)
	qfun(u, ...)
}

u <- 2; a <- 3
x <- rtrunc(1000, "norm", lower = 0, mean = u, sd = a)
hist(x)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas