[R] Need data labels to jitter with datapoints in boxplot

smheas sheasley at aegonusa.com
Thu Sep 17 17:20:33 CEST 2015

Hello, I have created a boxplot with the data points overlayed on top using
the below code. I am happy with the way the datapoints are jittered, however
I cannot figure out how to get the labels to jitter along with the
datapoints. The labels remain in the center and are unreadable. I have tried
a lot of different ways to get them to jitter but can't seem to make it
work. I have also tried making the label font smaller, but they still
overlap too much. Note I cannot use the method of assigning the lcoation of
each label - there are too many and this graph will be updated frequently
with new data. I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

After reading in data...

#load packages
library(ggplot2)
#change letter to factor
df$Letter<-as.factor(df$Letter)
#create boxplot
plot<-qplot(Letter,Number,data=df,geom=c("boxplot","jitter"),fill=Letter)
#Add formatting
plot<-plot + geom_text(aes(label=Identifier),size=3)
ggsave(filename="Spreads Plot.pdf",plot=plot,width=11,height=8,units="in")

Result:
<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4712380/PostPic.png>

Sample Data:
Identifier	Letter	Number