[R] Spreadsheet math problem (exponentiation)

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Fri Sep 18 18:06:23 CEST 2015

Methinks that any math teaching should make learners aware of the fact that
math conventions are not laws of nature, and that ambiguous expressions may
produce different values in different systems.

I think -2^2=4 is perfectly reasonable.

In my experience, most people after high school math do not know that
binary - und unary - are very different operations.
And that is the fault of the current way of teaching math!