[R] Accounting for correlated random effects in coxme

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Sep 22 20:09:33 CEST 2015

I've been away for a couple weeks and am now catching up on email.

The issue is that the coxme code does not have conversions built-in for all of the
possible types of sparse matrix.  Since it assumes that the variance matrix must be
symmetric, the non-neccarily-symmetric dgCMatrix class is not one that I had considered.
You should transform it to dsCMatrix first, which is a symmetric
class.  Or if it is small enough, to a simple matrix.

Terry T.