[R] Appropriate specification of random effects structure for EEG/ERP data: including Channels or not?

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Thu Sep 24 15:12:45 CEST 2015

There is actually a fair amount of ERP literature using mixed-effects
modelling, though you may have to branch out from the traditional
psycholinguistics journals a bit (even just more "neurolinguistics" or
language studies published in "psychology" would get you more!). But
just in the traditional psycholinguistics journals, there is a wealth of
literature, see for example the 2008 special issue on mixed models of
the Journal of Memory and Language.

I would NOT encode the channels/ROIs/other topographic measures as
random effects (grouping variables). If you think about the traditional
ANOVA analysis of ERPs, you'll recall that ROI or some other topographic
measure (laterality, saggitality) are included in the main effects and
interactions. As a rule of thumb, this corresponds to a fixed effect in
random effects models. More specifically, you generally care about
whether the particular levels of the topographic measure (i.e. you care
if an ERP component is located left-anterior or what not) and this is
what fixed effects test. Random effects are more useful when you only
care about the variance introduced by a particular term but not the
specific levels (e.g. participants or items -- we don't care about a
particular participant, but we do care about how much variance there is
between participants, i.e. how the population of participants looks).

Or, another thought: You may have seen ANOVA by-subjects and by-items,
but I bet you've never seen an ANOVA by-channels. ANOVA "implicitly"
collapses the channels within ROIs and you can do the same with mixed
models. (That's an awkward statement technically, but it should help
with the intuition.)

There is an another, related important point -- "nuisance parameters"
aren't necessarily random effects. So even if you're not interested in
the per-electrode distribution of the ERP component, that doesn't mean
those should automatically be random effects. It *might* make sense to
add a channel (as in per-electrode) random effect, if you care to model
the variation within a given ROI (as you have done), but I haven't seen
that yet. It is somewhat rare to include a per-channel fixed effect,
just because you lose a lot of information that way and introduce more
parameters into the model, but you could include a more fine-grained
notion of saggital / lateral location based on e.g. the 10-20 system and
make that into an ordered factor. (Or you could be extreme and even use
the spherical coordinates that the 10-20 is based on and have continuous
measures of electrode placement!) The big problem with including
"channel" as a random-effect grouping variable is that the channels
would have a very complicated covariance structure (because adjacent
electrodes are very highly correlated with each other) and I'm not sure
how to model this in a straightforward way with lme4.

More generally, in considering your random effects structure, you should
look at Barr et al (2013, "Random effects structure for confirmatory
hypothesis testing: Keep it maximal") and the recent reply by Bates et
al (arXiv, "Parsimonious Mixed Models"). You should read up on the GLMM
FAQ on testing random effects -- there are different opinions on this
and not all think that testing them via likelihood-ratio tests makes
sense.

That wasn't my most coherent response, but maybe it's still useful. And
for questions like this on mixed models, do check out the R Special
Interest Group on Mixed Models. :-)

Best,
Phillip