[R] [FORGED] cumulative distribtuion function for multinomial distribution in R

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 29 11:16:59 CEST 2015

On 29/09/15 14:58, li li wrote:
> Hi all,
>    In R, is there a function for the cumulative distribution function
> for multinomial distribution? I only see pmultinom and rmultinom which
> are the prabability mass function and the function for generating
> multinomial random variables respectively.

Dennis Murphy has kindly pointed out to me, off-list, that I miss-read
your message.  You *clearly* say "multinomial" and *NOT* "multivariate
normal"!!!  Psigh!

OTOH upon reading your message properly I see that it says you have
*found* pmultinom.  Did you really mean that?  The function pmultinom
is or would be the cumulative distribution function that you desire.
The probability mass function would be called *dmultinom*.  That is
probably (???) what you found.  There seems to be no pmultinom in the
default packages or in MASS.

However, if one Googles on "multinomial cumulative distribution R" one
is quickly led to the pmultinom() function from the "MFSAS" package.

Yayyyy!

*HOWEVER* (!!!) if one tries to install that package one is informed
that it is not available for R 3.3.2.

Booooo!

I found the archived source of the package OK, and it seems to install
OK except for a minor squawk about vignettes.  So if you have the
capability to install from source you would appear to be home and hosed.

I could not find "MFSAS" amongst the orphaned packages.  It has not
clear why it isn't among them.  Can anyone enlighten me about that?

The DESCRIPTION file in the source package from the Archives says
nothing about "orphaned".

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--