[R] Generating random data with non-linear correlation between two variables

hd625b hd625b at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 00:43:56 CEST 2016

Hello,

I changed the last 3 lines from v1 and v2 to myData$v1 and myData$v2.

Creating the vectors in not a problem.
Where you will run into issues is when you create the data.frame.
The length of v1 is 1001 and the length of v2 is 651.
The warning message below is telling us that the lengths of v1 and v2
are different.
"Shorter vectors are recycled as often as need be until they match the
length of the longest vector."

See section 2.2 of this document for more on recycling.
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.pdf

    v1 <- sort(rnorm(500:1500, mean = 1100, sd = 1), decreasing = F)
    v2 <- sort(rnorm(300:950, mean = 400, sd = 1), decreasing = F)
    length(v1)
    length(v2)
    myData <- data.frame(cbind(v1, v2))

         Warning message:
          In cbind(v1, v2) :
         number of rows of result is not a multiple of vector length (arg 2)

    plot(myData$v1, myData$v2, type = "l")

    cor(myData$v1, myData$v2, method = "pearson")

    plot(myData, type = 'l')

Michael Long