[R] what is the faster way to search for a pattern in a few million entries data frame ?

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Mon Apr 11 01:32:08 CEST 2016

On 04/10/2016 03:27 PM, Fabien Tarrade wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>> Didn't you post the same question yesterday?  Perhaps nobody answered
>> because your question is unanswerable.
> sorry, I got a email that my message was waiting for approval and when I
> look at the forum I didn't see my message and this is why  I sent it
> again and this time I did check that the format of my message was text
> only. Sorry for the noise.
>> You need to describe what the strings are like and what the patterns
>> are like if you want advice on speeding things up.
> my strings are 1-gram up to 5-grams (sequence of 1 work up to 5 words)
> and I am searching for the frequency in my DF of the strings starting
> with a sequence of few words.
>
> I guess these days it is standard to use DF with millions of entries so
> I was wondering how people are doing that in the faster way.

I did this to generate and search 40 million unique strings

 > grams <- as.character(1:4e7)        ## a long time passes...
 > system.time(grep("^900001", grams)) ## similar times to grepl
    user  system elapsed
  10.384   0.168  10.543

Is that the basic task you're trying to accomplish? grep(l) goes quickly
to C, so I don't think data.table or other will be markedly faster if
you're looking for an arbitrary regular expression (use fixed=TRUE if
looking for an exact match).

If you're looking for strings that start with a pattern, then in R-3.3.0
there is

 > system.time(res0 <- startsWith(grams, "900001"))
    user  system elapsed
   0.658   0.012   0.669

which returns the same result as grepl

 > identical(res0, res1 <- grepl("^900001", grams))
[1] TRUE

One can also parallelize the already vectorized grepl function with
parallel::pvec, with some opportunity for gain (compared to grepl) on
non-Windows

 > system.time(res2 <- pvec(seq_along(grams), function(i)
grepl("^900001", grams[i]), mc.cores=8))
    user  system elapsed
  24.996   1.709   3.974
 > identical(res0, res2)
[[1]] TRUE

I think anything else would require pre-processing of some kind, and
then some more detail about what your data looks like is required.

Martin Morgan