[R] [FORGED] Re: identical() versus sapply()

Paulson, Ariel apa at stowers.org
Mon Apr 11 18:30:29 CEST 2016

Ok, I see the difference between 1 and 1:2, I'll just leave it as one of those "only in R" things.

But it seems then, that as.numeric() should guarantee a FALSE outcome, yet it does not.

To build on what Rolf pointed out, I would really love for someone to explain this one:

> str(1)
 num 1

> str(1:2)
 int [1:2] 1 2

> str(as.numeric(1:2))
 num [1:2] 1 2

> str(as(1:2,"numeric"))
 int [1:2] 1 2

Which doubly makes no sense.  1) Either the class is "numeric" or it isn't; I did not call as.integer() here.  2) method of recasting should not affect final class.

Thanks,
Ariel