[R] formula argument evaluation

Adrian Dușa dusa.adrian at unibuc.ro
Tue Apr 12 17:09:50 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> It never gets to evaluating it.  It is not a legal R statement, so the
parser signals an error.
> If you want to pass arbitrary strings to a function, you need to put them
in quotes.

I see. I thought it was parsed inside the function, but if it's parsed
before then quoting is the only option.

To Keith: no, I mean it like this "A + B => C" which is translated as:
"the union of A and B is sufficient for C" in set theoretic language.

The "=>" operator means sufficiency, while "<=" means necessity. Quoting
the expression is good enough, I was just curious if the quotes could be
made redundant, somehow.

Thank you both,
Adrian

--