[R] Documentation: Was -- identical() versus sapply()

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 18:44:12 CEST 2016

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Sarah Goslee <sarah.goslee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am very interested in such a distributed documentation editing
> project, and have some thoughts on how to make it workable for both
> volunteers and core members who would need to review.
>
> I'm willing to lead or colead such a project, if someone stepping up
> would be a useful first step, and I'm also willing to host a wiki,
> although I think something like GitHub is probably the best place.
> I've been contemplating for a while how I can get more involved in the
> main R efforts, and have contributed to the documentation before, in
> tiny ways. I think those of us who have participated in R-help for a
> while have an idea of the main stumbling blocks in the documentation
> (besides, of course, getting people to read it in the first place).
>
> I don't think R-help is the right place to continue discussion; should
> this be moved to R-devel, or somewhere else entirely?

I'm in. My personal experience with R's documentation has been mostly satisfactory, once I learned to pay careful attention to the words 'list', 'name', and 'expression'.  I'm not an experienced C programmer or package author, so the requirement that I submit a "diff" file to an existing document is a hurdle that I cannot not yet clear while running, but I can probably muscle my way over. I remember taking a big step up in learning R when I built a Powerpoint deck to teach basic R, so I would probably learn quite a bit from such a process.

My nomination for an improvement 'target' is the `?reshape` page. I've never been able to understand it, despite years of trying, and I've seen many others report a similar experience. Opinion: Its Details section needs to be expanded into two distinct subsections: a 'wide'-direction subsection and a 'long'-direction subsection. Each subsection would outline the minimum number of supplied arguments for an error-free execution. There need to be more worked examples, but those could easily be mined from problems submitted as recorded in the R-help Archives and StackOverFlow.

--
David.