[R] Unequal column lengths

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Fri Apr 15 22:15:09 CEST 2016

Many basic summary stats in R will not work (i.e. usually return an NA) if there are NAs in the data unless you explicitylauthorize it to do so.

With your data set df
with(df, mean(Dat2, na.rm = TRUE))
[1] 5

This by the way is functionally the same as
mean(df$Dat2, na.rm = TRUE)
It's just easier to type the first one

In other cases R will do not object to the NA's

summary(df)
     Dat1          Dat2        Dat3
 Min.   :1.0   Min.   :3   Min.   :4.00
 1st Qu.:2.0   1st Qu.:4   1st Qu.:4.75