[R] Using read.csv() to import data

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Mon Apr 25 17:02:19 CEST 2016

You can also use getwd() to see what folder/directory R is currently using and setwd("folder") to change it. Also list.files() lists all of the files in that current directory.

The code you included assumes that the file is located in the root directory which is probably wrong. Try

mammals <- read.csv("JPH_data.csv")

If you are just starting out learning R, you can create a directory to use with the book by  using the dir.create() function:

dir.create("LearnR")
setwd("LearnR")

This will create a new folder in your default folder (probably called "My Documents"). Whenever you start R run setwd("LearnR") first so that anything you save goes in that folder. If you create .csv files, put them in that folder and R will find them easily. Also all of your R files will be in one place making them easier to find.

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352