[R] cpquery problem

Ross Chapman ross.chapman at ecogeonomix.com
Thu Aug 4 10:37:50 CEST 2016

Hi Marco

Thank you very much for your helpful advice.

I have tried you suggestion of using method = 'lw' with cpquery and can
now obtain conditional probabilities.

However, I am still puzzled over the outputs from the predict() and
cpquery functions.

The network that I am working on has the following coefficients for the
node that I am interested in (ABW):

  Parameters of node ABW (conditional Gaussian distribution)

Conditional density: ABW | EST + TR + FFB + RF
Coefficients:
                        0             1             2
(Intercept)  -0.480612729  -5.834617332   0.809011487
TR       1.857271045   1.584331230   1.964198638
FFB    0.182533645   0.066891147   0.028620951
RF     -0.002822838   0.002155205  -0.001608243

Standard deviation of the residuals:
        0          1          2
1.5140402  1.1764351  0.9675918
Discrete parents' configurations:
     EST
0     K1
1     M1
2     M2

If I run predict() using this fitted network I get ABW results very close
to those expected.  For example, for test case 1, I get a predicted ABW of
15.022, which is very close to the actual ABW value for this case
(14.871).

However, running cpquery() using the values for this test case returns a
conditional probability of 0 for all levels of ABW observed in the
training data. For example, the conditional probability returned for a
event where ABW<15 is 0; similarly the conditional probability for an
event where ABW is between the minimum and maximum ABW values observed  in
the data is again zero; while the conditional probability of an ABW event
>24 (which is in excess of all observed values) is 1.

Why does cpquery not return a high conditional probability for an event
which is predicted from the same coefficients?

Many thanks for your assistance with these queries.

Regards

Ross