[R] R bug when started in Windows 10

Itamar José G. Nunes nunesijg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 21:57:49 CEST 2016

Greetings, CRAN supporter. I am Itamar José, a Brazilian programmer and
biotechnology student.
I'm using R from some time ago, most of the time working with it in Windows
7, but since I changed to Windows 10, I'm having some bugs when R platform
particularly in this new operational system. If there's not problem, I
would like some help from you for what I can do about this issue.
I have asked about this problem in StarkOverflow, but no resolution was
suggested until now. As I said there, I'm working with a software project
that requires the portable version of R platform and my intention is to use
R in any version of Windows and in any compatible computer. I'm copying
here my answer, as shown below:

*From
[http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37173431/r-platform-failed-to-start-in-windows-10-when-inside-directory-containing-white
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37173431/r-platform-failed-to-start-in-windows-10-when-inside-directory-containing-white>]Problem:*
In Windows 7, R works fine without any worries, even in portable version.
However, in Windows 10 (and probably also in Windows 8), R does not start
when put the entire folder inside a directory containing whitespaces (ex.:
"C:/Users/Main/Documents/My Folder/RVersion").

In Windows 10, with the absence of spaces, R runs fine. In the presence of
spaces, all executable (Rscript.exe, R.exe, etc) except Rgui.exe just open
a console and closes instantly. The problem is: I really need that R works
in any folder (this is a important part of the project).

*Additional information:*

   -

   I found that R does not work well in directories without the 8dot3
   format - and it think that Windows 10 lost this property, which was present
   in Windows 7. Also, the problem is clear when I run Rgui.exe in a
   whitespace-containing directory and try to run system("R.exe", intern=TRUE)
   function: It throws an error indicating that only the part before the first
   space in directory name was taken into account. Here is the message:

   > system("R.exe", intern=TRUE)

   [1] "'C:\\Users\\Main\\DOCUME~1\\My' nÆo ‚ reconhecido como um comando
   interno" [2] "ou externo, um programa oper vel ou um arquivo em lotes."
   attr(,"status") [1] 1 Warning message: running command 'R.exe' had status 1

*Translation of messages [1] and [2]: "'C:\...\My'" not recognized as a
internal or external command, nor a program operation or dataset*

   -

   The same occurs with non-portable version of R, as I already tested.
   -

   When I run with a .bat file with the corrected (quoted) directory as
   input, R.exe runs, but in a disfunctional form and looking like cmd.exe (no
   R command worked).
   -

   I have no ideia how to change variables such as R_HOME to a readable
   version before R prompt starts.

*System/Resources:*

   - Windows 10 Home 64-bit with the last update.
   - Dell Notebook with Intel i7-5500U 2.40 GHz (not so relevant, I think)
   - R and R portable 3.3 (last version until this post), downloaded here: [
   https://sourceforge.net/projects/rportable/]
   <https://sourceforge.net/projects/rportable/%5D>

I believe that, with the popularity of Windows 10, many other users could
face this problem (specially those who depend of R portability). Because no
answers were made, and since it remains as a little known issue, I think
the CRAN support is the only one that knows, most than everyone, how to
reach the resolution.

Thanks in advance!

--
"I am a firm believer that without speculation there is no good and
original observation." - Charles Darwin

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]