[R] [R Survey Analysis] Problem counting number of responses

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 22:23:08 CEST 2016

Lauren,

The easier that you make it for us to help you, the more likely you
are to get help and the more helpful the answers will be.

First, please post in plain text (not HTML).  Second, reproducible
code (including sample data) helps us help you.

Your code above is incorrect, the 3 lines with "ifelse" have more left
parentheses than right parentheses.

Is "survey" a data frame? or something else?

Best guess from your code is that you want something like:

survey$responses <- with(survey, !is.na(q1) + !is.na(q2) + !is.na(q3))

the "with" function just makes it so you don't have to prepend
everything with "survey$", the "!" inverts logic so that it shows
those that are not NA and when you sum logicals they are converted to
0/1.

With 3 questions then you can subset your data like:

survey[ survey$nesponses==3, ]

to see those that answered (or did not result in NA) 3 questions.