[R] [R Survey Analysis] Problem counting number of responses

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 02:03:58 CEST 2016

Hi Lauren,
As Sarah noted, if your blank responses are coming as NAs, it may be
best to leave them alone until you have done the calculations:

survey$responses<-!is.na(survey[,c("q1","q2","q3")])
survey$sum_survey<-rowSums(survey[,c("q1","q2","q3")],na.rm=TRUE)
# the next line returns a logical vector that you can use to subset
# like this survey[q_complete,]
q_complete<-complete.cases(survey[,c("q1","q2","q3")])

then set your NAs to zeros if you need to.

Jim