[R] Please help me, I'm trying to update my version of R

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 23 08:27:46 CEST 2016

> On 22 Aug 2016, at 22:17, KMNanus <kmnanus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m a newbie running 3.2.4 on a mac equipped with Yosemite (10.10.5).
>
> I want to update to 3.3.1 and have downloaded the package, but have not been able to install it.  I’ve tried install.packages("R-3.3.1.tar.gz”) and install.packages("R-3.3.1.pkg”) after downloading both files.
>
> I get an error msg - "package ‘R-3.3.1.pkg’ is not available (for R version 3.2.4)"
>
> I know this question has shown up on several message boards but I’m having trouble understanding the process.
>
> Is there a straightforward way to update my version of R and, if successful, will R automatically work with the packages I’ve installed?

This question is actually for R-SIG-Mac.

After double clicking on the R-3.3.1.pkg you will have R 3.3.1 installed.
You don't need to run install.packages to get the packages for R-3.3.1.
You can have R install the current versions of the packages you had installed.

Start the R GUI.
Go to the menu:
- Click Packages & Data
- select Package Installer
- click Get List
- click the disclosure triangle in the Package Search input field. And then click Select packages from R.....

This should work if your previous installation of R was installed by the regular installer of R on Mac OS X.

Berend