[R] data

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 17:06:09 CET 2016

This should be reasonably efficient with 'dplyr':

> library(dplyr)
> input <- read.csv(text = "state,city,x
+ 1,12,100
+ 1,12,100
+ 1,12,200
+ 1,13,200
+ 1,13,100
+ 1,13,100
+ 1,14,200
+ 2,21,200
+ 2,21,200
+ 2,21,100
+ 2,23,100
+ 2,23,200
+ 2,34,200
+ 2,34,100
+ 2,35,100")

> result <- input %>%
+             group_by(state) %>%
+             summarise(nCities = length(unique(city)),
+                 count = n(),
+                 `100's` = sum(x == 100),
+                 `200's` = sum(x == 200)
+                 )
> result
# A tibble: 2 × 5
  state nCities count `100's` `200's`
1     1       3     7       4       3
2     2       4     8       4       4

Or you can also use data.table:

> library(data.table)
> input <- fread("state,city,x
+ 1,12,100
+ 1,12,100
+ 1,12,200
+ 1,13,200
+ 1,13,100
+ 1,13,100
+ 1,14,200
+ 2,21,200
+ 2,21,200
+ 2,21,100
+ 2,23,100
+ 2,23,200
+ 2,34,200
+ 2,34,100
+ 2,35,100")

> input[, .(nCities = length(unique(city)),
+           count = .N,
+           `100's` = sum(x == 100),
+           `200's` = sum(x == 200)
+         , keyby = state