[R] are R packages safe?

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Dec 8 19:14:58 CET 2016

On the plus side, all binary packages on CRAN are built from source code automatically by the CRAN team, so it would be a bit audacious to include "unsafe" code when the source code had to reviewable at any time.

There is nothing in R that would prevent a user from downloading a binary package from a non-CRAN source, though.

The only legally defensible answer is No, you use this at your own risk.