[R] vegan NMDS labels

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Fri Dec 9 20:29:15 CET 2016

You did not provide a reproducible example, but you should be able to get what you want as follows:

library(vegan)
data(dune)
data(dune.env)

lbls <-as.integer(dune.env$Management)
grps <- levels(dune.env$Management)
ngrps <- length(grps)

example_dune <- metaMDS(dune, distance="bray", k=2)
ordiplot(example_dune, display="species", type="n")
points(example_dune, col="black", pch = lbls)
ordihull(example_dune, dune.env$Management, scaling = "symmetric", lty=lbls)
# Optionally add a legend
legend("topright", grps, pch=1:ngrps, lty=1:ngrps)

# However if you want to position the labels, try this
grp.lbls <- locator()
# Click where you want each label to appear.
# The pch symbols are circle, triangle, plus, X
# click where you want the label to appear for each group
# in that order and then click stop (upper left corner)
# of the window.
text(grp.lbls, grps)

Or just eyeball the coordinates. Once you have them where you want them, save them with dput() and include them in your script file (assuming you are planning to plot to a print device later).

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352