[R] Log plus one transformation in R

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Tue Dec 13 18:18:49 CET 2016

Duncan,
Thank you. You are correct no one answered my question , despite the fact that several people reply to my email, until you replied. Your exclamation is quite clear and I thank you for your kindness. I did not pursue my question any further as I was concerned that I would be flamed.
John

> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
> Professor of Medicine
> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
> Baltimore VA Medical Center
> 10 North Greene Street
> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
> (Phone) 410-605-7119
> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 12:12 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/12/2016 12:26 PM, John Sorkin wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I did read the help page. All it says is
>> log1p(x) computes log(1+x) accurately also for |x| << 1 (and less
>> accurately when x is approximately -1).
>> This gives me pause. Does it mean that log(x) does not give accurate
>> results? If log1p gives more accurate values than log, why is the log
>> function not written to use the more accurate computation performed by
>> log1p.
>
> I don't think anyone has directly answered these questions.  The problem
> isn't with log(), it's with the representation of floating point numbers
> in R.  The log of 1 + 10^(-100) is very close to 10^(-100), but since 1
> + 1e-100 evaluates to 1 (we only keep 15 or 16 digits of precision),
> log(1 + 1e-100) will come out as zero.  On the other hand, log1p(1e-100)
> evaluates correctly to 1e-100.
>
>>  I don't believe I can look directly at the code for log and
>> log1p,
>
> R is open source, so you could, but those are likely coming from system
> libraries, so it isn't easy to see how the approximations are being done.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>>  so I need to rely on the kindness of others to explain the
>> differences between the computations performed by the functions. I guess
>> the test I ran, log1p(0.000001)/log(0.000001+1), did not have enough
>> precision to demonstrate a difference between the two functions.
>> John
>>

>> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
>> Professor of Medicine
>> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
>> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and
>> Geriatric Medicine
>> Baltimore VA Medical Center
>> 10 North Greene Street
>> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
>> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
>> (Phone) 410-605-7119
>> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)
>>
>>> On Dec 12, 2016, at 8:53 AM, John Sorkin <jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> At the risk of being flamed . . .
>>> What is the difference between log1p(x) and log(x+1)?
>>> The two methods appear to give the same results:
>>> [1] 1
>>> John
>>
>> Read the help page more carefully.

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.