[R] R studio Problem

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 15 10:12:58 CET 2016

    > Sorry Mr Gunter. I didn't realize it.
    > Regards

    > Amelia

In this case, however, it was only the 'Subject' of Amelia's
posting and her own "feeling about" the problem which were
wrong:

As K. Elo's helpful reply suggests, it most probably
is indeed an *R* problem, not an RStudio one:

Excursion (HW, do listen!):  A very efficient and easy way to _search_
 all the R mailing lists @R-project.org, i.e., including
 R-help (and R-devel, R-packages, R-package-devel, R-SIG-Mac, ...) is
by knowing/noticing that

  a) the website of all these lists are
    at  https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/<lower-case-listname>
    and (consequently) all the list __archives__ are at
      https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/<lower-case-listname>

  b) the (somewhat) advanced, but not known well enough,
     Google search feature  'site:<domain>'

In this case (because it has been on R-help in the past),
consequently a very efficient search to solve this problem is to
enter this into Google
 site:stat.ethz.ch normalizePath McAfee
 ~~~~~
(or click here to "learn it":
 https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Astat.ethz.ch+normalizePath+McAfee)

which finds this as a first hit
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2010-September/252217.html
which used to be the solution of the problem (and K.Elo's URL was to the
infamous Nabble version of R-help).

-------

It is very said to notice that more and more users of R (and
Rtudio) and it seems even *instructors* are thinking they use
RStudio when they are primarily using R via RStudio... and their
credits are going to RStudio only instead of to R, the R
foundation and its not-unimportant subset, the R core team,
plus the 1000s of package authors and bug report / patches
contributing volunteers around the world.

--> Please spread the word: It is __R__ (and RStudio),  not the
    other way around.