[R] Efficient way to create new column based on comparison with another dataframe

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Mon Feb 1 23:06:48 CET 2016

Hi Gaius,

On 01/29/2016 10:52 AM, Gaius Augustus wrote:
> I have two dataframes. One has chromosome arm information, and the other
> has SNP position information. I am trying to assign each SNP an arm
> identity.  I'd like to create this new column based on comparing it to the
> reference file.
>
> *1) Mapfile (has millions of rows)*
>
> Name    Chr   Position
> S1      1      3000
> S2      1      6000
> S3      1      1000
>
> *2) Chr.Arms   file (has 39 rows)*
>
> Chr    Arm    Start   End
> 1      p      0       5000
> 1      q      5001    10000
>

> *R Script that works, but slow:*
> Arms  <- c()
> for (line in 1:nrow(Mapfile)){
>        Arms[line] <- Chr.Arms$Arm[ Mapfile$Chr[line] == Chr.Arms$Chr &
>   Mapfile$Position[line] > Chr.Arms$Start &  Mapfile$Position[line] <
> Chr.Arms$End]}
> }
> Mapfile$Arm <- Arms
>

> *Output Table:*
>
> Name   Chr   Position   Arm
> S1      1     3000      p
> S2      1     6000      q
> S3      1     1000      p
>

> In words: I want each line to look up the location ( 1) find the right Chr,
> 2) find the line where the START < POSITION < END), then get the ARM
> information and place it in a new column.
>
> This R script works, but surely there is a more time/processing efficient
> way to do it.

You could use the GenomicRanges package for this:

1) Turn 'Mapfile' and 'Chr.Arms' into GRanges objects:

   library(GenomicRanges)
   query <- makeGRangesFromDataFrame(Mapfile, start.field="Position",
                                              end.field="Position")
   subject <- makeGRangesFromDataFrame(Chr.Arms)

2) Call findOverlaps() on them:

   Mapfile2Chr.Arms <- findOverlaps(query, subject, select="arbitrary")

3) Use the result of findOverlaps() to create the column to add to
   'Mapfile':

   Mapfile$Arm <- Chr.Arms$Arm[Mapfile2Chr.Arms]
   Mapfile
   #   Name Chr Position Arm
   # 1   S1   1     3000   p
   # 2   S2   1     6000   q
   # 3   S3   1     1000   p

Should be very fast.

Note that GenomicRanges is a Bioconductor package:

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/GenomicRanges

Make sure you follow the Installation instructions on that page.

Cheers,
H.

> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Gaius