[R] R project and the TPP

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Feb 4 23:33:18 CET 2016

Ted and José,

The FSF has a blog post here that might provide some insights:

  http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/time-to-act-on-tpp-is-now-rallies-against-tpp-in-washington-d-c-november-14-18

That is from last November, but the relevant passage, perhaps in a temporal vacuum, seems to be the second paragraph with the following sentences focused on the GPL:

"The regulation would not affect freely licensed software, such as software under the GPL, that already comes with its own conditions ensuring users receive source code. Such licenses are grants of permission from the copyright holders on the work, who are not a "Party" to TPP."

The Software Freedom Conservancy has a post on this as well, from the same time frame:

  https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2015/nov/09/gpl-tpp/

Regards,

Marc