[R] (no subject)

Walter Niessen niessen at att.net
Sun Feb 7 21:18:49 CET 2016

Helpers,

I am a pretty savvy computer user (over 40 years) but am having trouble with the most basic process in using the R program.  I am taking a course to learn the statistics utility of “R” but can’t seem to get past the opening where it shows the student how to input data into R.

It suggests identifying as the a target folder in the Properties of the R x64 3.2.3 icon (I use a 64-bit Windows 7 OS) the location where data files are found. I entered:

As the Target:  "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.3\bin\x64\Rgui.exe"  ... which contains Rgui.exe and the supporting dlls etc.

As the Start in: "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.3\Appendix" ... where Appendix is a folder which contains data files such as the text file DATA1.txt which I created from an Excel file.

When I try and get R to input the data, I get the following sequence of messages:

> X=scan("DATA1.txt")
Error in file(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(file, "r") :
  cannot open file 'DATA1.txt': No such file or directory

When I try again but use the complete file description, I get:

X=scan("C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.3\Appendix\DATA1.txt")
Error: '\P' is an unrecognized escape in character string starting ""C:\P"

I hate to ask a question not related to R or its features (that may come later), but, clearly, the first baby step is to be able to load data into the application . . . and, I am really frustrated with my inability to do so.

Can you help?

Walt

Walter R. Niessen
(978) 470-4622