[R] Help required for Rcmdr

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 10 17:29:41 CET 2016

Dear Sekhar,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing these problems. Although you haven't said so directly, I assume that you aren't able to use install.packages() to install *any* CRAN packages, not just the Rcmdr package.

Downloading and unpacking the Rcmdr zip file doesn't install the package. You can install the zip-file binary package from the R Windows GUI via the "Packages > Install package(s) from local zip files" menu, but that too won't really help because it won't install the many CRAN packages on which the Rcmdr depends.

As I said earlier, my guess is that you're experiencing a problem with a firewall, proxy server, or HTTPS. If the latter (which was Vito's problem), you can easily solve the problem by using an HTTP CRAN server in preference to the default HTTPS:

Enter the command chooseCRANmirror(useHTTPS=FALSE) at the R Console > prompt and select a CRAN mirror -- I suggest the first (0-Cloud) mirror. Then issue the command install.packages("Rcmdr"), as before.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I don't have other suggestions.

You appear to have sent this message only to me, not to r-help. That not a good idea for several reasons, not least of which is that people who have other suggestions won't see your message. I'm cc'ing this response to r-help.

Best,
 John