[R] R 3.2.3 on Win8; mkdir command produces error

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 04:07:37 CET 2016

This mailing list is not meant for homework help, you should ask your
instructor to clarify the assignment.

Best,
Ista

On Feb 14, 2016 9:24 PM, "HEATHER MICHEL via R-help" <r-help at r-project.org>
wrote:

> As a follow-up to my request for help this morning, I have watched
tutorials on R all afternoon. Many topics come close to my problem, but
none specifically address my situation where "specdata" is not a text file
but a list of small files in a folder.I found a command that should be more
right than mkdir, but it still won't work for my assignment. What argument
am I getting wrong?To recap, I can't access in R my data files that are on
my desktop. I need more understanding about how directories transfer
between Windows and R.
> > dir.create('specdata')
>
>  > dir.exists("specdata")[1] TRUE

load("C:/Users/rhmichel/Desktop/rprog-data-specdata/specdata/001.csv")Error:
bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data loadedIn
addition: Warning message:file ‘001.csv’ has magic number '"Date'  Use of
save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
> > pollutantmean("C:\Users\rhmichel\Desktop\rprog-data-specdata\specdata",
"sulfate", 1:10)Error: '\U' used without hex digits in character string
starting ""C:\U">
heathermichel at rocketmail.com> wrote:

>  I am trying to complete a homework assignment, but I know very little
about R.The assignment says, "For this programming assignment you will need
to unzip this file and create the directory 'specdata".I unzipped the file
on my desktop, and my computer automatically created a new folder which I
renamed "specdata."However, when I try to make this directory within R
using mkdir, I get this:
> > mkdir (specdata)Error: could not find function "mkdir"> ?mkdirNo
documentation for ‘mkdir’ in specified packages and libraries:you could try
‘??mkdir’> ??mkdir> pwdError: object 'pwd' not found

> This makes me believe that some of the old command names have been
updated in this version that is only 2 months old. Of course, the lectures
I took notes on used an older version of R and were created more than 2
months ago.