[R] Estimating Mean of a Poisson Distribution Based on interval censoring

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Mon Feb 15 13:38:21 CET 2016

For an interval censored poisson or lognormal, use survreg() in the survival package.  (Or
if you are a SAS fan use proc lifereg).  If you have a data set where R and SAS give
different answers I'd like to know about it, but my general experience is that this is
more often a user error.  I am also curious to learn exactly what you mean by "interval
censored poisson".  Exponential with interval time to first event is equivalent to
poisson, which is what I'd guess from "lognormal", but you may mean something else.

Terry Therneau
(author of survival)