[R] Problem in adapting a script I have not written.

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Feb 18 17:57:20 CET 2016

d[ 3 ] means indexing some vector-like object called "d" to extract the third value. (You really need to read the Introduction to R document that comes with R, particularly about indexing. There are actually four ways to do indexing that may come up as you read other people's code.) "d" is the contents of the seventh row of some matrix-like object called "np" which you have given no definition for. Without that information "ar" could be almost anything.   If you are right and their example works then you have not given us the whole example. You mention attaching code... the mailing list strips off most attachments to avoid spreading viruses, but if they have the extension ".txt" they usually get through okay.

If the ar parameter really is what you say it is supposed to be, giving it the value 1 should be perfectly acceptable. However,  you may not have specified the arguments to that function in the correct order, or the problem may be in other arguments.

Do be warned that this list is here to help you through rough spots... not to do your work for you. The Posting Guide mentioned at the bottom of every R-help email asks you to post minimal examples rather than long complicated code files, so you are at best near the edge of acceptable use in this request, so at least be sure we can reproduce your error. (Posting your email in plain text rather than HTML is another important step in communicating clearly by avoiding corruption of your code in the mailing list.)